Log in

Previous Entry | Next Entry

I know I mentioned it in my last post, but it didn't really sum up how I had been helping to plan and was about to carry out my father's funeral and burial. In the process, I ended up with my own grave plot, which seems a bit morbid for someone who just turned 30.

I took two weeks off work to deal with everything, and spent a lot of time being driven to places like the cemetery, the Celebration Hall and gravestone carvers' studios. My brother, sister-in-law and I did all of the planning without any real knowledge of what was required. We had to ask about what direction the body had to be buried (not an issue as we decided on cremation), whether the plots were close to any '4's, whether we had to give out candy and money (a tradition the family had adhered to for my great-grandmother and grandmother's ceremonies), whether we needed to burn paper money or not, who would speak at the ceremony, where everything would go and how the A/V equipment would work...

In the end, the ceremony went well. I don't know if it's proper to say that people enjoyed it, but that's what we heard from everyone, so I guess that means that it was considered a fitting send off for my dad.

To top it all off, I'd signed up for a half-marathon in January. I was pretty stressed out about it, as there wasn't a lot of time for training in the weeks beforehand, and a few days before the funeral, I was being reassured that I could bail and no one would think less of me. Of course, that just meant that I at least had to try. So I got up the morning after the funeral at 5:00AM, made myself a bacon and egg breakfast bagel (fuck being healthy), wrote out this little note to myself and took the bus to UBC for the 7:00AM start.

I thought about my dad as I was running and how he didn't live to see me achieve this. However, the rest of my family was waiting at the finish line. Not only that, but *TM* was bringing my keys, wallet and cellphone, so there was kind of an additional incentive to finishing. I didn't manage to run the entire race, as the Burrard Street bridge uphill (the 17K mark) did me in a bit, but after that, I ran the rest of the way and finished in 2 h 18 mins (chip time because I don't REALLY race). Hilariously, no one recognized me at the finish line, so I spent a lot of time drinking juice boxes and eating the free snacks after I'd finished. I later learned that *J* and *H* had been standing just past the finish line, taking photos of people that they thought looked like me as they ran past, just in case.

After a nice stroll in the midday sun (or rather morning sun, since it was only 10:30AM or so by then), *TM* took me out for a fatty lunch of poutine with pulled pork.

The very next day, I was back at work.

And in a few more days, I will be on a train to Portland. *TM* and I are headed to the Oregon Brewer's Festival with several of our friends. It's going to be quite the affair, as we're staying in some crazy loft apartment in the middle of the Pearl District, and this is one of those vacations that I feel like I've definitely earned.


( 5 comments — Leave a comment )
Jul. 23rd, 2011 02:09 am (UTC)
In awe of you, in so so so many ways. <3
Jul. 27th, 2011 03:59 am (UTC)
Aww. You know how I feel about all of the amazing things that you've achieved, so that means so much to me. Miss you and love you so much! Are you still coming to town soon?
Benjamin Damm
Jul. 23rd, 2011 10:29 pm (UTC)
Hey, that's sweet! Good going. Hope it isn't too weird that I posted on your journal. But I think that you running the marathon is awesome!
Jul. 27th, 2011 04:04 am (UTC)
Re: Wicked
No, it's not weird. It's been a long time, after all. Thanks!
Nov. 2nd, 2011 08:30 pm (UTC)
Your blog looks nice, even so it would be far better if you’ll be able to use lighter colors too as a professional design. This will make sure that a lot more readers come to check it out.Informative post by the way!

( 5 comments — Leave a comment )



Latest Month

March 2012

Me, Elsewhere


Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Jamison Wieser